The Recipe For Making Ratatouille.
You can make Ratatouille using 14 ingredients in 8 quick steps. The following is an easy way to make it.
Ingredients Required To Make Ratatouille
- Add 1 of large (1.25 lb) eggplant, cut into 1/3 inch cubes.
- Prepare of Salt.
- Insert 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving.
- Prepare 1 of medium zucchini (about 1/2 lb) cut into 1/3 inch cubes.
- Prepare 1 of medium yellow squash (about 1/2 lb) cut into 1/3 inch cubes.
- Insert 1 of medium yellow onion, finely chopped.
- Add 1 of red, orange OR yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice.
- Add 5 of large cloves garlic, chopped.
- Prepare 5 of large vine-ripened tomatoes (1.75 lb) cut into 1/3 inch cubes, with their juices.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped thyme, plus more for serving.
- Fill 3/4 teaspoon of sugar.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (optional).
- Insert 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil.
Step By Step To Make Ratatouille
- Prep all the vegetables before you start cooking..
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the eggplant and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft and starting to brown, 1-12 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside..
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan (no need to clean it). Add the zucchini and yellow squash and cook, stirring frequently, until tender crisp, 3-4 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and transfer to a plate; set aside..
- Add two more tablespoons of oil to the pan and add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking for about 3 minutes more. Do not brown. Add the tomatoes and their juices, tomato paste, thyme, sugar, crushed red pepper flakes (if using) and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are broken down into a sauce, 8 to 10 minutes..
- Add the cooked eggplant to the pan; bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until the eggplant is soft. Add the zucchini and squash and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, or until just warmed through. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Sprinkle with fresh basil and thyme, drizzle with a little olive oil if desired, and serve warm or chilled..
- With a little imagination, there are endless ways to serve ratatouille. Try it: - As a vegetarian main course over grains or polenta - Alongside roasted or grilled meats and fish - Shakshuka-style with poached eggs - Tossed with pasta - Folded into omelets or frittatas - Dolloped over crostini with goat cheese - Straight from the fridge as a snack (it’s delicious cold).
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This is delicious served cold, or reheated in the microwave..
- Freezer-Friendly Instructions: Let the dish cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. (Keep in mind that the zucchini won't stay crisp after being frozen.).
That's how to make Ratatouille Recipe.